Jun 08 , 2018
AC units built today incorporate sound-dampening technology and variable speed compressors to keep noise levels to a minimum so if you are hearing sounds from your AC when it is running, this could be a sign that your unit needs repair. Here are some noises to be aware of:
Banging – usually means there is a loose or broken part inside the AC’s compressor or your compressor needs replacing
- Clanking – the indoor blower or outdoor fan and their blades may be out of balance and hitting other parts
- Clicking – it is normal for a clicking sound when your AC starts up and shuts down, but it the noise is constant it could be a sign of a defective control or failing thermostat.
- Squealing – your fan motor or indoor blower motors squeal loudly when they are going bad
- Rattling – a sign that your AC system is starting to deteriorate and parts are loosening or debris is clogging your system
- Screaming – most likely cause is a refrigerant leak. Turn off your AC and call a professional immediately.
Contact Family Air to come out and determine where the noise is coming from and give you quiet comfort!