Temperatures are going into the 80s this month and before you know it summer is here. You want to be prepared when you do turn your AC on for the first time of the season. There is nothing worse than your system blowing hot air or nothing at all.
Here are some suggestions for you to do right now:
- Change your air-filter – You are probably not changing your filter as often as you should because this task is the most often overlooked. At the very least, change them out per season. Ideally, they should be replaced once a month for maximum efficiency.
- Check the condensation lines – the pipe that carries condensation away from your air conditioner can get clogged and back up into your unit. Locate where the pipe drains and check to see if it is draining properly. If they aren’t, use an algaecide found at pool supply stores or call us to clean.
- Install a programmable thermostat – These can help you cut down your electric bill since energy is used only when you and your family are at home. These are easy to install yourself.
- Clean your AC fins – This tip will help your AC run more efficiently. Try using a soft brush to carefully run the brush across each fin. Be gentle so you don’t bend the metal.
- Check your ductwork for leaks – Leaky ducts make your AC unit work harder. Inspect your ductwork for disconnected joints, separated pieces and small holes.
If you do the above steps and your AC still isn’t working properly, call us for a checkup at 520-399-5850!